Bull or Bear? | October 2018
BULL OR BEAR?
“My prior C-Suite experience and temperament position me for success as a C-Suite executive in a private equity portfolio company in 2019.”
According to a 2017 Alix Partners survey, 73% of Private Equity CEOs are replaced during the investment life cycle (usually five years) and 58% are gone within two years. So, what are the questions you should ask yourself if you are considering moving into this high pressure/high reward position? Here are five:
- Can you be satisfied executing the predetermined Private Equity sponsor strategy prebaked into the investment thesis rather than formulating an original business strategy?
- Can you cope with tight and frequent oversight by the Private Equity sponsor/board members with a board meeting or board call at least once per month?
- Can you make rapid decisions with incomplete information including the removal and replacement of senior executives who are not doing the job you need done?
- Can you wear multiple hats, for example, CEO/COO/CAO all rolled into one — and consistently multi-task without contracting attention deficit disorder?
- Can you focus on EBITDA above all other performance measures, even at the expense of growth if necessary to exit well?
If, after some genuine introspection, you can honestly answer the questions above in the affirmative, you may be better off as a CEO than dealing with quarterly earnings releases and related analyst conference calls, often hostile activist shareholders, and short-term hedge fund driven stock price gyrations that many times characterize the public markets these days.
Are you bullish or bearish?
Give us your verdict and see how your peers compare.
See results instantly after you vote.
Wayne, PA, January, 2019- AchieveNEXT, a leading provider of subscription-based, peer advisory communities and specialized professional services, has enhanced its Executive Coaching & Specialized Leadership Development Services by adding Debra Ventura to its roster. This addition launches the second phase of expansion for AchieveNEXT. The 2017 acquisition of Kelleher and 2018 acquisition of Relational Capital […]
Wayne, PA, January 2, 2019 – AchieveNEXT, a leading provider of subscription-based, peer advisory communities and specialized professional services, has enhanced its CFO Alliance Community by adding Candace Cook to its team as Director of Membership Marketing & Development. This addition launches the next phase of expansion for The CFO Alliance. Launched in 2008, The […]
Kelleher Power of 3™ Throughout our lives, whether we realize it or not, we have come to expect things in “threes” – 3 piece suit, 3 Musketeers, 3 ring notebooks, etc. It seems things that come in “threes” are more satisfying, more effective, more impactful and more memorable. We invite you to leverage the Power of […]